CARE AND MAINTENANCE
It is natural for jewellery to tarnish, blacken or discolour over time, particularly if the piece is worn regularly. Tarnish is caused by several factors which include:
Exposure to moisture, humidity, sunlight and oxygen.
Acidity (ph balance) of a person’s skin, which in turn is affected, for example, by diet, medication and stress.
Exposure to perfume, soap, moisturiser, shampoo etc. and cleaning products such as dishwashing liquid and bleach.
Exposure to chlorine.
We advise against :
- swimming, showering or undertaking vigorous exercise while wearing jewellery.
- exposing jewellery to cleaning agents or cosmetics such as foundations, perfumes, hairsprays.
- exposing jewellery to excessive heat or prolonged periods of direct sunlight.
- use of commercial silver ‘dip’ solutions as they are unsuitable for cleaning hollow, oxidised, stone-set, pearl or plated jewellery and can cause surface deterioration.